Research from staffing firm OfficeTeam shows that more than one in four (26%) of U.S. companies plan to increase hiring in the last three months of this year.
OfficeTeam interviewed human resources (HR) managers directly to get the data, so you can be sure it’s pretty reliable.
Of the HR managers interviewed, 69% bring on staff at year-end to fill vacated positions, 62% address upticks in business, and 51% add new positions.
With all of this job opportunity opening up soon, OfficeTeam wants to be sure that you’re ready for that all-important job interview. So they’re offering these seven tips:
- Freshen things up. Make sure your resume and social network profiles highlight your most recent achievements. If professional photos or job descriptions are out-of-date, be sure to update them.
- Polish your skills. Take a continuing education course or pursue certifications to increase your marketability. Stay on top of trends affecting your profession by reading industry books and magazines, and following relevant social media feeds.
- Reconnect with contacts. The end of the year provides a prime opportunity to check in with people in your network and let them know you’re looking for a position.
- Make a wish list. Compile names of companies you’re interested in working for and contact them regarding openings. Schedule informational interviews to learn more and get your foot in the door.
- Meet and mingle. At networking events and year-end parties, be prepared to discuss your background and the type of role you seek. You never know who might be able to help in the job search.
- Spend your time wisely. Put your abilities to work and gain additional experience by volunteering at nonprofit organizations or finding a temporary position. A staffing firm can help you secure interim or seasonal jobs.|
- Think outside the box. Retail positions may be the most obvious options when seeking employment in the fourth quarter, but consider other types of companies that might be hiring. Employers in areas such as customer service, hospitality and tourism, insurance, fraud prevention, and shipping and packaging may also require assistance this time of year.
Good advice, and timely – since the fourth quarter begins in less than two weeks. Have your resume ready.