Buying a new home, whether it is down the road or across the country can be an exciting but stressful experience. No matter the size of your household, there’s a lot of work to be done. Here’s a few tips for taking the stress out of moving and enjoying your new home.
- Number the rooms of the house and put corresponding numbers on the boxes—this way movers and other people helping don’t have to ask where things go while carrying a heavy box.
- Stock the new refrigerator or a portable cooler with water and light snacks so everyone can stay hydrated and keep their energy up.
- You can’t control the weather, so make sure you have plenty of waterproof tarps and covers for your belongings.
- Reduce the amount of stuff you have to move by donating unneeded items or having a garage sale (you can even make some extra cash!).
- Make sorting your belongings easier by creating three piles (KEEP, DONATE, TOSS) and don’t overthink things.
- Contact your utility companies ahead of time to let them know you’ll need to move or cancel your existing service to prevent any potential delays.
Lots of companies offer discounts on services for your home, specifically Love My Credit Union Rewards! Here’s a sample of the discounted services for credit union members that can be very helpful when you’re moving:
- Consider hiring a moving company like Allied Van Lines to help, especially if you’re moving a long distance or you’re moving a lot of stuff.
- If you love satellite television there’s a great discount on services from DirecTV.
- If you’re planning to install a security system in your new home, you can get a discounted installation and service from ADT.
- TruStage offers home and auto insurance. Credit union members have saved more than $400!
Reducing the stress of an upcoming move is easy if you’re organized and you plan ahead. After that, you just have to unpack!